Death Cap is one of the most lethal mushrooms in Denmark and may be mistaken for a non-toxic Asian mushroom. We report on two accidental cases admitted 12 and 17 hours after ingestion presenting with gastroenteritis and decline in liver function. The patient who arrived after 12 hours responded well to intensive treatment of liver failure and was discharged after 18 days. The other patient deteriorated in spite of intensive treatment and underwent liver transplantation. She was later discharged. Early diagnosis and treatment is essential.
Ugeskrift for Laeger, 2013, Vol 175, Issue 24, p. 1703-4