Hamming, Marie B.3; Jensen, Olaf Chresten5; Leth, Torben4
1 Centre of Maritime Health and Society, Department of Public Health, Det Sundhedsvidenskabelige Fakultet, SDU2 Det Sundhedsvidenskabelige Fakultet, SDU3 Radio Medical Denmark4 Center for Maritime Health Service5 Centre of Maritime Health and Society, Department of Public Health, Det Sundhedsvidenskabelige Fakultet, SDU
Background: Since 1995 RMD, CMS and FMM has been working together on improving the medical service to Danish seafarers worldwide. The all over aim is to be able to offer the seafarers medical assistance on same niveau as other Danish citizens. In 2004 we started retrospect study of the telemedical service with the purpose to analyse contact forms, medical record-form use and the documentation, with the aim to point out areas for improvement of communication and documentation as well as identification of needs for differentiated education of the "medics" on board. Methods: 300 medical records were looked through (all contacts from 1.jan.2004 to 14.may 2004) for information on contact form, types of ship, the 4 minimum demands for information according to Danish Maritime Authorities and the 4 most used diagnose codes acc. To ICD10. For accidents in addition objective examination (blodpressure, pulse etc). Results: in 27% cases telephone, and 37 % fax, e-mail or telex was the only way of contact. The rest were combination of telephone and written contact. 64 % concerned illness, 24 % accidents, 6 % banalities and 6 % advising. 55 % of contacts came from merchant ships, 25 % from passenger-ships/ferries, 11 % from fishing boats and 9 % from supplier ships. Of the 4 minimum demands only anamnesis were documented 100 %. For allergy, previous and actually medicine use information only were present in 20 - 35 % of the cases. The study could not answer the question on differentiated education, as the used diagnose coding were to rough. Conclusions: More focus on standard and simplification of documentation, digital communication and further analysis of pattern of diseases and accidents in order to support the differentiated education.
Telemedicine, Communication, Documentation
Main Research Area:
9th International Symposium on Maritime Health, 2007