1 Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy, Technical University of Denmark2 unknown
Specimens of pure copper, a high purity austenitic stainless steel, and V–4Cr–4Ti were exposed to eight cycles of either constant temperature or periodic temperature variations during neutron irradiation in the High Flux Isotopes Reactor to a cumulative damage level of 4–5 displacements per atom. Specimens exposed to periodic temperature variations experienced a low temperature (360 °C) during the initial 10% of accrued dose in each of the eight cycles, and a higher temperature (520 °C) during the remaining 90% of accrued dose in each cycle. The microstructures of the irradiated stainless steel and V–4Cr–4Ti were qualitatively similar to companion specimens that were continuously maintained at 520 °C during the entire irradiation. The microstructural observations on pure copper irradiated at a constant temperature of 340 °C in this experiment are also summarized. The main radiation-induced microstructural features consisted of dislocation loops, stacking fault tetrahedra and voids in the stainless steel, Ti-rich precipitates in the V alloy, and voids (along with a low density of stacking fault tetrahedra) in copper.
Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2002, Vol 307-311, Issue 1, p. 192-196
2-E tekno; C1000; N0100; R0200; S0500; V0100
Main Research Area:
10th International conference on fusion reactor materials, 2002